(This post was originally posted September 2014)
Everyone remembers the devastation caused by the 2013 bush fires, particularly those of us in Lithgow. The official bush fire season starts October 1 but if you live in the Blue Mountains, the season started on September 1st. The NSW RFS has advised El Nino conditions, very hot with little rain, for this season.
Below is a list on how you can prepare your home.
- Clean your gutters of leaves and twigs
- Install metal gutter guards
- Repair damaged or missing tiles on the roof
- Install fine metal mesh screens on windows and doors
- Fit seals around doors and windows to eliminate gaps
- Enclose the areas under the house
- Repair or cover gaps in external walls
- Attach a fire sprinkler system to gutters
- Keep lawns short and gardens well maintained
- Cut back trees and shrubs overhanging buildings
- Clean up fallen leaves, twigs and debris around the property
- Have hoses long enough to reach around your house
- If you have a pool, tank or dam, put a Static Water Supply (SWS) sign on your property entrance, so firefighters know where they can get water
- Check and maintain adequate levels of home and contents insurance. Ensure it is up to date.
Download your bushfire survival plan now at http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/plan-and-prepare/bush-fire-survival-plan
Erin’s Quality Ironbark also offers bush fire house preparation packages. For more information, including pensioner discounts please call us on 0428135945 or 0263525823 or contact us via our online form,